Wednesday, December 21, 2005

'Lost' explanation

They're all clones.

Genetically altered to allow them to live on a island made of anti-matter (hence all the light/dark stuff), implanted with the memories of the passengers who died in the original crash (hence Locke's legs working again). The weird things on the island are aspects of aliens drawn to the island's ability to exist between planes of existence.

Not that I even care that much, as it's going on too long, but if I'm right, I want my five pounds.


UPDATE: Not quite as funny as links to people rapping angrily about cupcakes and kids' films, but there's a link over at Neil Gaiman's blog to a PDF of the decision in the Pennsylvania "Intelligent Design" case -
here. Important and surprisingly readable, especially as ID/Creationsm has already taken a moronic foothold over here, and needs to be stepped on sharpish with the Firmly Laced Trainer of Fact.

Having wittered on about Lost, I should probably admit that I didn't even watch the second half of last night's episode, as I was distracted during one of the BILLION commercial breaks by the Newsnight special on the end of the oil era, which turned out to be the most gripping television this year. Completely fascinating, and even with some tiny piccolo notes of optimism, which is always welcome. Worth watching the video replay if you have time and broadband.

Fourth edit of the book now, and it's a biggie, as m'agent's American counterpart got back with her notes, including the revelation that if you're reading the thing not knowing what happens at the end (which obviously I do, and m'agent does as well as I told her the end before I wrote it), then there's a big chunk of the middle which doesn't seem to go anywhere at all. And she's quite right. Fortunately it's quite a simple fix, but it will require a few more days hunched over the keyboard if I want to get the thing out to publishers by mid-jan.

Other random stuff:

Royksopp's rather good What Else Is There. Spooky video, and a floating Scandinavian bird* with no eyebrows, marvellous.

That really old trailer for Jerry Seinfeld's Comedian film from ages ago, which I still haven't seen. But then I've only seen one Seinfeld episode, which I must rectify at some point.


* As in 'bint' or 'lady'. Sorry Dave

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've been reading "Seahorse in the Sky" by Edmund Cooper, haven't you?

Izzy said...

ooh, I've read that. good book.

wv: lkpuo - the sound made by the fat kid that threw up all over the cinema at the end of Harry Potter last night

Anonymous said...

I take it all is very much not revealed at the end of Series 1 then?

Oh lord. There is no way on god's clean earth I'm waiting seven seasons to find out the Big Secret...

Dave said...

Memo to self: stop taking James too literally. Spent ages with images of birds (you know the flying sort, with wings and all) that did have eyebrows.

Then I watched the video.

cello said...

Yes, I saw that Newsnight too. It was really, really interesting. But are you sure you weren't just slightly swayed by that devilishly attractive American woman author of 'Crude'?

You have reassured me that I haven't necessarily become a total old fogey, what with my copy of Country Life and writing Christmas cards with a fountain pen, if the writer of the most cutting edge comedy around watched Newsnight too.

Anonymous said...

I miss Newsnight for one poxy night and suddenly it's must-see television...

Anonymous said...

Come one then, do yourself a favor and get one of the Seinfeld boxsets. Preferably season 5 & 6, as Seinfeld got (alot) better with the seasons. Although from season 4 and up its pretty much all quality as far as I'm concerned.

Summer said...

I just finished watching the conclusion of Season 1 on DVD (I was attracted to the show after watching the first eps of Season 2).

My hypothesis going in was that "Black Rock" was a lodestone, twiddling with the radars/electricity/compasses. Heh.

I will not watch Season 2 until I can rip through them in their entirety, in one sitting if I want. No other way to watch television.

woot said...

I haven't seen Lost or Newsnight (or Seinfeld for that matter) and feel entirely left out. Although it is very sunny and warm here, so I'm happy bout that.

WV = yqjprsd, Try typing that 3 times fast while drunk....

patroclus said...

>>there's a big chunk of the middle which doesn't seem to go anywhere at all<<

But isn't that Neal Stephenson's entire modus operandi? And you don't see him not getting publishing deals. Or editing down to less than 900 pages.

One of my New Year's resolutions may well be to shut up about Neal Stephenson. Or perhaps just to shut up.

On another note, happy Christmas and all that.

cello said...

Yes, Happy Christmas James. Hope you get some nice Viking Lego in your stocking. xxx

James Henry said...

The same to all you out there.


God bless us, every one.